Frequently Asked Questions
What Types of Chocolate Does Li-Lac Offer?
- Extra Dark / Dairy Free (72%): A bitter-sweet chocolate with 72% cocoa solids made from West African cocoa beans aged to produce a surprisingly mellow and balanced flavor.
- Dark (53%): A semi-sweet chocolate with 53% cocoa solids made from West African cocoa beans for a deliciously strong chocolate flavor.
- Milk (32.5%): A sweet chocolate made with 32.5% cocoa solids from West African and Pacific-Rim cocoa beans for an intense milk chocolate flavor.
- White (32%): A rich cocoa-butter based whole milk product with a delicate chocolate aroma and flavor.
- Sugar Free: A dark chocolate sweetened with Maltitol, a sugar substitute.
How Should I Store My Chocolate?
- Li-Lac Chocolates should be stored in a cool, dry room at temperatures between 55-68 degrees, avoiding heat, sunlight, moisture, humidity, and ambient odors. At lower temperatures, chocolate may collect condensation which can accelerate the appearance of fat bloom. At warmer temperatures, chocolate can tend to soften and lose its gloss. Do not refrigerate as this can cause sugar bloom on the surface. If you live in a warm area and do not have air conditioning, you can place chocolate in a refrigerator by wrapping it in a dry kitchen towel to minimize humidity and odor absorption.
- There are two types of bloom common to chocolate: Fat Bloom and Sugar Bloom. Fat bloom can result when chocolate is exposed to fluctuating temperatures, producing a visible dull white film at the surface. Sugar bloom is a hard white surface film resulting from exposure to moisture formed by the dissolution and subsequent crystallization of sugar on the chocolate's surface. While fat bloom and sugar bloom affect the appearance of chocolate, the product remains perfectly safe to eat.
- When properly stored, solid milk chocolate will stay fresh for approximately nine months and solid dark chocolate will stay fresh for approximately one year. Our filled confections are guaranteed to be fresh for at least 21 days from purchase (except for Marzipan, Fudge and Truffles, which are guaranteed for 10 days).
- Dairy: Our chocolate does contains dairy ingredients; except our 72% Extra Dark chocolate is not made with any dairy ingredients (but may contain traces of dairy due to shared equipment).
- Gluten: Our plain chocolate is not made with ingredients that contain gluten ingredients. However, some of the confections we make with chocolate may contain gluten ingredients. For specific product inquiries, please refer to the product page on our website to see if the product carries a 'gluten free' claim. We do process products with and without gluten ingredients on the same machinery in the same factory, and some of our products may contain traces of gluten.
- Nuts: All our products are produced in a facility that uses tree nuts, peanuts, and nut oils. We process items with and without tree nuts, peanuts, and nut oils on the same equipment in the same factory. Trace elements of nut ingredients may be present in any of our products.
- Soy: Our chocolate does contain soy and we also use soy lecithin as an emulsifier.
- Our factory is Kosher certified by the Orthodox Union.
- Our 72% Extra Dark Chocolate does not contain any dairy or animal products (however, products may contain traces of dairy due to shared equipment).
Do You Offer Same-Day Delivery Service?
- We offer a hand-delivery service within Manhattan (below 99th Street). Please call 212 924-2280 to place an order for same day delivery.
- Yes, we are one of the few New York chocolate companies that ship worldwide. Please be aware that international shipments may be subject to Customs delays and/or international duties or taxes that are beyond our control. Unfortunately, we can not assume responsibility for any transit delays, damage or spoilage that may result from international delays. In addition, the recipient is responsible for any international duties, taxes, or customs fees that are collected C.O.D. upon delivery. Please take these factors into consideration before placing an order for international shipment.
- We can make custom assortments and gift baskets to your specifications. Lead time is generally 2 - 4 weeks, depending on the item. Minimum quantities do apply. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212 924-2280 for information.
- If you are a retailer and would like to carry our products for resale, please contact us at: email@example.com for a wholesale catalog.
- When you visit our factory, you will have a through-the-window view into our production facility where you can see our daily production. There is also a factory store where you are invited to sample fresh chocolate from our daily production and shop. Production runs Monday - Friday from 9 am - 5 pm, and sometimes on Saturdays.
- We also offer a private behind-the-scenes guided factory tour for groups of 8 or more. For pricing and other information, please visit the Our Factory section of this website for more information.